Gift-giving doesn’t have to be stressful! With this list of over 100 educational gift ideas for kids, you can cross off your gift list with educational gifts that are fun AND promote learning and creativity.
Here’s a round-up of some of my favorite educational gifts for kids along with some links for projects, lessons, and other ideas that will get kids moving, creating, building, and exploring.
Grab a holiday cookie, a mug of cocoa (extra whipped cream!) and start making your list (and check it twice!)...
(Links are affiliate links, so TheHomeSchoolMom earns a small commission from purchases)
🧶 Hobby Supplies & Experiences (music, baking, cooking, etc.)
- Sewing machine. Here's a beginner sewing project to try, and this is a nice book for learning to sew .
- Sewing kit and accessories
- Knitting needles & supplies with a how-to book and colorful yarn (affiliate links)
- Crochet starter kit with colorful yarn
- Cross stitching projects (here's a tutorial for beginners)
- Music lessons (in person or online)
- Karaoke machine
- Subscription to streaming music service (Amazon Music, Spotify, etc.)
- Stand mixer
- Baking supplies (be sure to check out this popular YouTube channel by the amazing baker, Rosanna Pansino)
- Cooking supplies (new pan, spatulas, etc.)
- Cookbooks or a subscription to Raddish Kids
- cooking club
- Cooking class
- Baking or cookie/cake decorating classes
- Candle making supplies (see our post on candle making)
- Soap making supplies
- Acting classes
- Tickets to a children's theater production
🎨 Arts & Crafts Supplies
I love combining several types of supplies, different weights of paper (drawing, watercolor, pastels) to create a huge art kit for an extra special holiday gift.
- Chalk pastels (check out these amazing FREE tutorials here)
- Watercolor cream pens
- Modeling clay. Here are some fun ideas to try!
- Colored pencils (we love the ones by Prismacolor)
- Fabric markers
- Markers (dual-brush markers and chalk markers are cool alternatives!). My kids love these FREE videos from Art for Kids Hub!
- Paint (watercolors, acrylic, oil, craft, etc.) and paintbrushes (check out Alicia Gatehouse's online art classes)
- Art canvases
- Art supply caddy (who doesn't LOVE a new caddy?!)
- Paint pens
- Peg dolls (click here for a DIY family portrait project)
- Spray paints (for outdoor projects)
- Beads and jewelry making supplies
- Art desk or drafting table
- Lightbox and lightbox crafts and ideas!
- Pens (gel pens, drawing pens, calligraphy pens)
- Washi tape (here are so many fun projects to try!)
- Stamps and stamp pads (great for making homemade cards and we can count this as handwriting, right?)
- Perler bead kits and accessories. Check out these cool ideas and tutorials!
- Fairy Garden supplies (I love this great workshop all about fairy gardens!)
✒️ Writing Supplies
- Blank notebooks
- Big Life Journal and Big Life Journal Teen Edition *
- Pens (gel pens, calligraphy pens, colored pens)
- Writing prompt books
- Handlettering book and pens (see this video for how to handletter)
- Rory's Story Cubes
- Lap desk
- Pencil/Pen case
- Baby name book (great for researching character names for stories)
- Biography of your child's favorite author
🌎 Educational Supplies & Memberships as Gifts
- Wall maps
- Jigsaw puzzles and/or 3-D puzzles
- Chess set. Don't know how to play? Here's what you need to know!
- Microscope. Here's a helpful guide in choosing one for your family.
- Subscription to Curiosity Stream
- Games (check out my game recommendations)
- Books (check out my post for book series ideas for ages 8-12)
- Museum or zoo family memberships (many are reciprocal: zoos & aquariums, museums)
- Magazine subscriptions, such as Sports Illustrated Kids, National Geographic Kids
- Movie theater gift cards
- Gift certificates for local or online classes (these are great for extracurriculars or elective classes). Outschool.com is our family's favorite place for online classes.
- Gift certificates for their favorite restaurants or coffee shop. Homeschoolers are ALWAYS hungry, right? Second breakfast, anyone?
🤖 Educational Subscription Boxes
- Wonder Crate
- Think Outside Boxes
- Universal Yums
- KiwiCo (variety of kits for different ages topics, including arts and crafts and STEAM)
- History Unboxed
- MEL Science
- Steve Spangler Science Club
⛺ Supplies for Outside Fun
- Camping supplies
- Tree swing
- Roller skates or roller blades
- Pogo stick
- Sports equipment
- Cornhole set (here's a DIY video to check out)
- Badminton set
- Volleyball net and accessories
- Sidewalk chalk
- Telescope (here's a list of the best telescopes for kids)
- Birdhouse making supplies
- Gardening tools and supplies. New to gardening? Find some ideas here!
🧰 Supplies for Projects & Building
- LEGO bricks (because who doesn't love stepping on LEGO bricks at 1:37 AM in the dark?). Here are fantastic Lego resources by another homeschooling mom!
- Snap Circuits
- Little Bits Electronic Base Kit
- Wooden plank building sets
- Magnetic tiles
- Toolset and building supplies (pinewood, small pieces of wood, or wood building projects)
🧮 Classic Toys
- Lite Brite
- Speak & Spell (I wore mine out in 1984. It's true. I plan to buy myself another one this holiday season.)
- Rubik's Cube. Check out these videos!
- Lincoln Logs
- Wooden abacus
You can double the impact of all of these educational gifts for kids when you invest in relationship-building by using them together—working on art projects, designing building projects, attending events, cooking/baking, camping, spending time together doing outside hobbies, and more. I'd love to hear which gifts your kids enjoyed the most in the comments below!
* Disclaimer - I am the homeschool liaison for Big Life Journal