Many companies offer a discount to educators, including homeschoolers, with some form of proof that you are an educator. If your state requires a Notice of Intent to Homeschool, or an application to homeschool, you can often use these as adequate proof of homeschooling. For stores that require something different, the reply from your school district, letterhead from your umbrella school, or an identification card from a homeschooling support group are other options. For specific requirements, please ask the individual retailers what they require.*
Below is a list of some companies that offer discounts and/or educator appreciation receptions for homeschoolers. I have linked to the website if one exists, but that does not necessarily mean that the website honors the discount. Most of the sites have a “store locator” where you can find a brick and mortar store near you.
- Gifts.com – 15% off with code TEACHER15
- Tilco Educational Shower Curtains – Use code HSM15 for 15% off your order
- Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum – Paradigm Accelerated Curriculum offers a 40% DISCOUNT with a minimum purchase of $1,000 for group purchases where there is one purchaser and one shipping address. Call 325-649-0976 for discount code. Other available discounts include 40% for single parents and 20% for military, law enforcement, first responders, ministry, farmers and ranchers.
- Homeschool Buyers Co-op – Negotiates deals with vendors based on quantity purchases
- CollegePrepGenius – Use code EZCLASS – $10.00 off Class Registration, EZSHIP for free shipping on orders $50.00 or more, and
EZOFF to download “15 Secrets to Free College” eBook for a penny ($9.95 value)
- StartWrite – use code SW513 for $5.00 off
- Adobe software at up to 75% off for students, teachers, and schools
- Microsoft software at up to 75% off for students, teachers, and schools
- ClickN READ Phonics Online Reading program – The world’s most advanced phonics software. 100 fun interactive cartoon lessons. Beginning, struggling and learning disabled readers. 60 days risk free. You can try a free lesson here. (Use Promotion Code “THSM” when purchasing to receive a 5% discount!)
- Tutor.com – Use promo code “homeschoolmom” to get 50 free minutes of online tutoring. You will also receive 10% off any purchases made within 3 months of signing up. Additionally, all eligible U.S. military families have unlimited access to Tutor.com provided by the Department of Defense. Military service members and their dependents around the world can work with a certified, professional tutor online 24/7 to get help with homework, studying, test prep, resume writing and more.
- GreatScopes.com – Homeschoolers are invited to use the customer code HS10 at checkout, and the discount will immediately be taken off your microscope order of $149 or more.
- MicroscopeCentral.com – Coupon Code HSGIFT will receive a free slide set gift
- Apple Computers – The full line of educational products are available to homeschoolers who meet their state’s requirements for legally homeschooling.
- Staples Teacher Rewards – 5% back, free shipping, and special deals
- Office Depot Rewards – not specific to teachers, but offers 10% back in rewards on certain purchases
- Barnes and Noble bookstore – Educator’s Discount Card available in stores only
- Books-A-Million – 20% for classroom purchases when you fill out a teacher discount card
- JoAnn Crafts – 15% in-store discount; apply in store and get a 20% discount on your entire purchase on Teacher Appreciation Day
- The Container Store – 15% off for educators on supplies to organize the classroom
- Henne’s Drafting & Art Supply – up to 25% discount extended to educators including homeschoolers
- Microscope.com offers a free shipping discount on student-level compound and stereo microscopes. Use coupon code “HSFreeShipping” and mention this website for FREE shipping.
Many museums offer a special membership to educators, so it is always worth it to ask.
*If you wish to know whether a store offers a discount, one way to approach the subject is to ask if that store offers a discount to educators. If the answer is yes, you could pursue whether the discount is extended to homeschoolers as well. If it is not, it is always a good idea to ask in a friendly manner if they have considered extending their educator discount to homeschoolers and give them some stats on the large numbers of local homeschoolers in your area. Often a retailer may not have considered the idea. If one of their competitors does offer such a discount, few retailers want to watch business walk away because they will not meet a competitor’s offer.